Pronto Tax Class Blog
Tips for Starting Your Own Tax Preparation Office
By Luke Frye
My name is Luke and this year (2013) I was a member of the "Start-Up Crew" in the new Pronto Income Tax Van Nuys location. I learned a lot about what it takes to start a tax preparation office. I definitely don't know everything and I am still learning every day, but in this article I will share with you five things that I do know, that I have learned from experience in working at a tax office start-up.
1. Make sure you’re credentialed. You can get fined up to $5,000 if you are doing taxes for pay without the proper CTEC registration. Pronto has an affordable, informative tax class that will help you get started in this business the right way adn with the right credentials. Check it out at http://www.prontotaxclass.com.
2. Intern/work at a reputable tax office before venturing off on your own. Get your feet wet learning from a tax pro. Lucky for you, Pronto hires some of their tax school students.
3. Figure out early on your future target market. When you open your tax office, who will be your ideal client? Figure that out and target that niche. Specialists can charge more than generalists. When you focus on a niche, you can devote more time to becoming a subject matter expect. Customers will pay more for a highly skilled specialist than a generalist.
4. Learn niche marketing in-depth! Scour the internet researching niche marketing and use that knowledge to gain a future competitive advantage. Go the extra mile!
5. Develop a top-notch sales force! Build a sales/business development team that rivals gym sales reps. These reps are so skilled at sales some people are hesitant to even try and cancel their membership! When you first start out, the "sales force" may be just you or one other person, but the point is you have to focus on sales and marketing, or else how will people know about your new tax business?
These are my top five tips for starting a tax preparation office the right way from the beginning. For more info, you can download my brother Andy's free ebook How to Start Your Own Tax Preparation and Consulting Business. Good luck!